On January 1st, 2022, I tweeted this twit:
This proved to be somewhat ambitious. So let's talk about what happened in 2022 and what's happening now!
What is His Majesty the Worm?
His Majesty the Worm is a new-school game with old-school sensibilities: the classic megadungeon experience given fresh life through a focus on the mundanities and small moments of daily life inside the dungeon.
- Often-ignored subsystems, like food, hunger, light, and inventory management, are central to play and actually fun.
- The game has robust procedures. Characters adventure in the Underworld, rest in role-playing driven camping scenes, and plan long-term actions in the City at the center of the Wide World.
- The relationships between companions, called Bonds, powers the rest and recovery mechanic of the game. Role-playing literally drives the game forward.
- Tarot cards are used as a randomizing element. Combat encounters are handled with an action-packed subsystem that ensures that all players have interesting choices every minute of combat: no downtime!
What is the state of affairs?
|By Marcin S|
|All the stuff in the core book. Boy, page 111 has a lot of content.|
- The cost of physical books is incredibly high right now. What format should the book be in? How can I make it as cheap as possible so that people aren't priced out? How can I make it as nice as possible so the game is a treasure to own?
- I've thus far avoided the hectic stress of crowdfunding. I wish I could avoid it altogether. How long can I put this off?
- What mechanisms will people use to buy the book? How can you trade me dollars and have this book shipped to you? Do I set up a webstore? (I don't know how to do that.) Do I use another interface?
- Once people have bought the book, who packages it and ships it? How much does this cost? How do you keep shipping costs low? How do I keep packaging costs low for this non-standard size I chose for the book? How do you accommodate for international shipping? How are taxes paid on imported media?
So...when can I buy it?
Not yet. Soon.
|"I call all times soon."|
- Join my mailing list. I will only email you to give you updates about the game and let you know when it's ready.
- Check out the appendices. I think each appendix has content that's applicable to any dungeon-based game you're playing. Every $5 thrown towards the game helps speed its development along. Plus, when they're ready, I'll upload the finalized, full-art version of the appendix on Itch as a free upgrade.