Monday, September 23, 2024

Information Architecture in The Castle Automatic

In 2023, like many people, I participated in Dungeon 23. The end result was two dungeons - one based on the tarot (for His Majesty the Worm) and one rambling cozy depthcrawl (for Under Hill, By Water). For the past several weeks, I have been revising and refining the tarot dungeon. It is called The Castle Automatic.*

Getting the dungeon into a shape to be published is a different kind of challenge than the creative challenge of writing down ideas. Here are three techniques I am using to structure the information architecture.

The Universal Caveat and Apotropaic to Ward the Nerd

All of His Majesty the Worm is writing down stuff that works for me. It's really a game that tells you how I write my own notes and run my own games. So, that's just to say there are lots of ways to key entries, do layout, and architect information, but this stuff works for me. I hope it works for you too.

Room names and numbers

His Majesty the Worm asks GMs to give players a simple copy of the dungeon map, with any secret doors or hidden passages removed and each room numbered simply. Using this method, the ambiguities that exist in verbal descriptions of a space (no, no, the two exits on the north wall are spaced further apart) that wouldn't exist if the players were actually looking at the space in the world, are removed. The simple numbering system (room 101, room 102, room 103) doesn't spoil the fun of exploring the contents of the room, and lets players and GMs communicate with each other easily about which room they're talking about. 

However, the GM is rarely thinking of rooms like "room 101, room 102, " they're thinking of "The Grand Ballroom" and "The Under-scullery." And, as the players are exploring, they're writing these things into the margins of their map! 

To try and make each room reference as useful as possible, I'm taking the extra step of including three pieces of information each time: the room number on the map (room 101), a descriptive room name (the Grand Ballroom), and the page reference (p. 14). Overkill? Maybe. But I'd rather give you too much information rather than by leaving you feeling lost in the text itself.

OSE style + landmark, hidden secret

The OSE "house style bullet points" has emerged as something of a "standard" in OSR productions over the last few years.  This house style describes each room with certain elements in bold. The bolded text is elaborated on in bullet points following; each bullet point is concise, often just a phrase or short sentence. I like this format because it aims for clarity and quick reference during gameplay. 

In my implementation of bullet points, I found it necessary to add in some specific rules to my style guide. 

First, room descriptions are nested into levels of landmark/hidden/secret

The basic room description is landmark. Everything a careful adventurer can see at a glance is described. It is set in normal paragraph text with interactable stuff set in bold.

  • Hidden information is set at bullet point 1. This includes any interactable stuff from the  basic description. If players need to take an action to see this content, even if it's just "I look at the gargoyle statue," it is listed at this level.
    • Secret information is set at bullet point 2. This is for content that is usually discovered by "fucking around" with the content at bullet point 1.

Second, the bullet points follow the same order as they were listed in the description of the room. If the description of the room details a rug and an unlit chandelier, the bullet points will list the contents of the rug in the first bullet point and the unlit chandelier in the second bullet point.

Enemies described last in prose, first in bullet points

This post by the Alexandrian made its way into my head at some point. It asks: What we’re broadly looking at is whether it’s better to describe the monsters in a room FIRST or LAST.

I think it's better to describe the monsters LAST. I can't remember if this is what Justin Alexander said,  and can't be bothered to re-read the post! 

I like this method because I want the players to have all the information they need to make informed decisions, but if I start saying "The goblins...", the players start saying "I want to attack the goblin," and SHUT UP. Let me first say there's a bookshelf and a tabaxi rug and then I can say "Also a goblin," and then you get to go STEVE. 

I've applied this principle by describing the monsters that usually live in the room last in my prose description of the room. However, contrary to my bullet point rule (above), I put any relevant monster details into the first bullet point. As a GM, you'll probably want to reference this detail first. However, if you choose to use the prose description as read aloud text, you don't want to spoil the surprise of the goblin because SHUT UP STEVE, OH MY GOD.



* Cheers to Mr. Arnold K for the name suggestion.

No comments:

Post a Comment